Gabriel Project of East Texas
Help to mother and child in need.
Our Goal is to help women choose life for their unborn child by offering encouragement, love and practical help.
Gabriel Project of East Texas is a ministry of the Office of Respect Life Programs for the Diocese of Tyler, Texas.
The volunteer members of this project see in the birth of each baby a fresh expression of God’s unfailing love. They offer immediate and practical help to any woman faced with a crisis pregnancy. Catholic women in East Texas are committed to respond with love to any woman facing a crisis pregnancy.
The Gabriel Project began in 1973 when a pastor of a Catholic Church in Texas placed a sign offering help to any woman experiencing a crisis pregnancy. The object was to carry a message of hope and comfort to mothers experiencing fear and worry as they faced their pregnancy.
Catholic Christians have always held the Mother of God in high esteem and when the Angel Gabriel announced to her she was to be the mother of the Messiah, Mary asked, “How can this be?”. But the angel told her to “Fear not! Nothing is impossible with God”. Mary responded “Let it be done as you say.’
Today our message to new mothers is the same.
“Fear not! God is with you!”
The Gabriel Project offers a unique support system in the person of a trained volunteer who will walk along with you providing love, practical support and strength for you and you baby. You will be able to feel cherished and protected and know that a Church community is waiting to assist you with anything you need. Respect for human life, both the mother’s and the baby’s, requires each Catholic Church Community to reach out and offer assistance to those who may be overwhelmed by the decisions they must make. We offer this love and support based on the directive we have received from Jesus Christ to “Love one another as I have loved you”.
The Gabriel Project serves all girls or women in unplanned pregnancies without pressure toward any faith, parenting or adoption.
The Gabriel Project
- Work of Evangelization, bringing Mom & Parish to God
- Outreach of whole parish, organized by Respect Life
- Mom lives within Parish boundaries
- Gabriel Angel is member of local parish
- The Angel Mentors Mom, like-with-like apostolate
- Spiritual & Corporal works of mercy
- Sign of Life on Parish Property
- Costs nothing
Crisis vs. Emergency
- Once Mom has met with her Mentor, her Gabriel Angel, her crisis is over although her difficulties are not. It will take some time to help Mom work out her difficulties.
- The Gabriel Project® is not an emergency service. All emergencies must go directly to the local emergency room or to the police.